Carla Hagen Piper
- Doctor of Education, Curriculum and Instruction (Ed.D.), University of the Pacific Benerd School of Education, 1999. Emphasis in Music Education and Educational Technology.
- Master of Arts in Early Music (M.A.), Stanford University, 1972.
- Bachelor of Music in Education (B.M.E), University of Nebraska, 1966.
Teaching, Research, and Administration
- Associate Professor and Faculty Administrator of Single Subject Credential Program: Chapman University Modesto Academic Center, Modesto, CA. (Present)
- Associate Chair of Educational Technology: Chapman University College, All Campuses. (Present)
- Coordinator of the Master of Arts with Emphasis in Instructional Technology, Chapman University College, All Campuses. (Present)
- Distance Learning Mentor and Course Developer for Blackboard and eCollege Chapman Faculty (Present).
- Faculty Administrator of Single Subject Credential Program: Chapman University Modesto Academic Center, Modesto, CA. (Present)
- Assistant Professor, University of the Pacific, Benerd School of Education, Stockton, CA
- Adjunct Faculty, University of the Pacific, Benerd School of Education, Stockton, CA – Social Studies, Visual and Performing Arts, and Educational Technology.
- Faculty Administrator of Multiple Subject Credential Program: Chapman University Modesto Academic Center, Modesto, CA. (98-00)
- University Instructor of Music Theory, University of the Pacific, Stockton, CA.
- Junior College Instructor: Music Appreciation, Songwriting, and Music for Children – Modesto Junior College, Modesto, CA.
Evaluation and Research
- ClipBoard Electronic Portfolio Developer– ePort
- Co-Director, Consultant, and Course Developer, Early Childhood Education Professional Development Grant Project: Cal-Net, Tehama Department of Education and U.S. Department of Education: Early Reading First.
- Center for Evaluation and Research
- Evaluator, Technology Innovation Challenge Grant (TICG), U.S. Department of Education: Urban Dreams Project: Oakland High Schools, Oakland, CA – Developed and Produced Video Case Studies and Maintained Evaluation Website.
- Project Director, U.S. Department of Education: Community Technology Center Grant (CTC) and Migrant Education Grant, Pittsburg, CA.
- Early Childhood Teacher Training Program Development, Pittsburg Preschool Community Center Early Childhood Education Program, Pittsburg, CA – Developed four online courses for early childhood teacher training. (Blackboard and WebCT)
- Participation in Early Childhood Reading First Grant Teacher Portfolio Development and Curriculum Research, No Child Left Behind, U.S. Department of Education.
Elementary and Secondary Public Schools
- Music, Title One Language Arts, and Lead Technology Teacher, Empire Elementary Schools (90-98).
- Choral and Instrumental Music: Modesto City Schools, Modesto, CA (80-81, 82-83).
- Classroom and Instrumental Music Teacher: Cabrillo Unified School District, Half Moon Bay, CA (69-70).
- Secondary Choral Music Teacher: Lincoln Public Schools, Lincoln, NE (66-69).
College Courses Taught
- Computer Applications in Education: Chapman University - Course Custodian, Author of Course Syllabus - Developed and Designed Online Courses in Blackboard.com and eCollege.
- Using Technological Tools in Teaching: Chapman University – Developed Online Courses in Blackboard.com and eCollege.
- Social Implications of Educational Technology, Chapman University – Developed Online Course in eCollege.
- Teaching with Technology, Level II: Chapman University – Developed Online Course in Blackboard.com.
- Teaching Music in the Secondary Classroom – Developed Online Course in eCollege.
- Teaching History and Social Sciences in the Secondary Classroom – Developed Online Course in eCollege
- Teaching English and Language Arts in the Secondary Classroom – Developed Online Course in eCollege.
- Developed and Taught Courses for Early Childhood Curriculum Series: Early Reading First Professional Development with University of the Pacific (2004).
- Foundations of Education: Chapman University.
- Action Research: Chapman University.
- Teaching and Learning in a Culturally Diverse Classroom: Chapman University.
- Microcomputers in Education and Educational Computing: University of the Pacific (Present).
- Teaching Social Studies: University of the Pacific – Methods Course For Elementary Social Studies And Visual And Performing Arts (Present).
- The Elements of Music for Elementary Education Students: University of the Pacific (96-98).
- The Musical Intelligence: Music in the Classroom, Developed Online for Chapman University
- Computer Projects in Language Arts, Creating Electronic Student Portfolios, and Music, Literacy, and Numeracy: Chapman University Professional Development Extended Education (2004).
- Music Appreciation, Songwriting, Music for Children: Modesto Junior College (82-83).
Original Web Pages
- Teaching with Technology
- Soundpiper Personal Website
- Resume – downloadabe PDF
- Electronic Portfolios
Professional Performer, Composer, Producer
- Performer - Symphonic Trombonist: Lincoln Symphony (63-69), Omaha Symphony Sub (64- 69), San Jose and Oakland Symphony Sub (70-74), Early Music Consorts, Brass Quintets, and other Classical Chamber Ensembles (70-81), Young Audience Concerts for Schools (71-73).
- Composer, Arranger, Performer, Producer for Sesame Street and Children’s Television Workshop, Macmillan, Addison-Wesley, Riekes Music, and Zoo-phonics (6 albums and V-Tech CD-ROM Reading Program (85-99), Founder of Soundpiper Music (73-Present).
- Composer of Chamber Orchestra Work premiered by San Jose Symphony and Napa Valley Symphony (80-81), Choral Music Selections for Children's Music Festival, University of the Pacific (95), and other Performing Groups (68 - Present), Personal Record Album (79).
- California Standard Teaching Credential in Music/German, K-12, Life.
- California Community College Instructor Credential, Life.
- American Society of Composers, Authors, and Publishers (ASCAP)
- California Literature Project, Music Educators National Conference (MENC)
- Pi Kappa Lambda Honorary Music Society
- Pi Lambda Theta Honorary Education Society
- Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development (ASCD)
- California Association of Teacher Educators (CATE)
- National Council for the Social Studies (NCSS)
- American Educational Research Association (AERA)
- California Council on Teacher Education (CCTE)
- Mu Phi Epsilon Music Sorority
- Phi Delta Kappa
- International Reading Association (IRA).
Publications and Presentations
- Hackett, R.K, Piper, C., Russell, M. (2003). Measuring technology proficiency of students participation in a Technology Innovation Challenge Grants (TICG) program: Instrument validation for program evaluation purposes." American Educational Research Association (AERA), Chicago, Illinois.
- U.S. Department of Education TICG Urban Dreams Project Interim Review, November, 2001. Washington, D.C.
- Poster Session: Association of the Advancement for Computing in Education (AACE) Society for Information Technology and Teacher Education (SITE 2001), February, Orlando, Florida.
- Paper and Presentation: “Case Study of a Multimedia CD-ROM Dissertation Web,” Paper Accepted: November, 2000, AACE WEBNET 2000 On-line Publication, University of Virginia.
- Poster Presentation: AERA (April, 2000) New Orleans, Louisiana.
- Paper and Presentation: “Electronic Portfolios in Reading Methods Courses,” February, 1999, AACE SITE On-line Publication, University of Virginia. AACE SITE2000 (February, 2000) San Diego, California (February, 2000).
- Paper, Presentation and Poster Session: "The Student's Perceptions: Infusing Technology into Teacher Education," June, 1999, AACE Ed-Media 1999 On-line Publication. University of Virginia. AACE Ed-Media 1999 (June, 1999) Seattle, Washington.
- Paper, Presentation, and Poster Session: "Infusing Technology into the Preservice Teacher Education Program through Electronic Portfolios," March, 1999, AACE SITE On-line Publication, University of Virginia. AACE SITE99 International Conference (February, 1999) San Antonio, Texas.
- Paper: “Implementing Developmentally Appropriate Practice in a High-Tech Environment,” November, 1993, Early Childhood Resources Newsletter, Corte Madera, CA.
- Paper and Poster Presentation: Presenter at UOP Technology Conference (95 and 96).
- Presenter and Panelist for Northern California Music Educators Conference (95, 96, 97).
- Faculty Training Workshops: Integrating Technology – Faculty Forum (January, 2000), Using Technology in Action Research – Northern and Southern Regional Faculty Meetings (February, 2000). Faculty Technology Guiding Partner: Thinkquest Faculty Training (November, 2000), Teaching Online: Faculty Training for Blackboard and eCollege (2001-Present).
- Technology Workshops: Multimedia Electronic Portfolios for Authentic Assessment, MIDI in the Classroom, Music and Arts Education Through Technology, Exploring the World Wide Web, Creating Web Pages, Hyperstudio, Powerpoint, Educational Musical Activities for Parents and Teachers.
- Early Childhood Music, Literacy, and Numeracy Presentation, Cal-Net Regional Fall Conference, Redding, CA (2004).