Music History Websites
Music History 102 from the Internet Public Library
Contents to Guide to Western Composers and their
Designed, compiled and created by Robert Sherrane, Cataloging librarian, The Juilliard School, New York
The Middle Ages
The Baroque Age
The Classical Period
The Romantic Era
The Twentieth Century
This is a fantastic music and art history course online. You can view
masterpieces and listen to the music of each era.
More History Websites
MENC Home - http://www.menc.org
of South Dakota - Shrine to Music Museum
- Center for Study of the
History of Musical Instruments. The collections include more than 6,000
American, European, and ethnographic musical instruments.
- Early Instruments - http://www.s-hamilton.k12.ia.us/antiqua/instrumt.html
- Lutes in Arto
Wikla's Music Page
- Pipe Organs and Related Topics
- collection of musical instruments from the Renaissance to modern
- Books and Articles on Historical
Flutes (Folkers & Powell)
da Gamba Society of America
Instrument Museum (MIM)
- unique collection of musical instruments and
an exhaustive panorama of ancient, modern, and traditional music.
- collection of European historical instruments, traditional
instruments from Europe, Asia, and Africa, and library and archives.
- exhibit of over 650 instruments with musical samples and an interactive
des Instruments a Vent
- founded in 1888 by the instrument workers of La
Couture-Boussey to conserve all the woodwind instruments as well as the
parts, the primary materials, and the tools used.
University - Bate Collection of Musical Instruments
- collection of
historical woodwind, brass, and percussion instruments.
Collection of Early Keyboard Instruments
- collection principally
contains those stringed keyboard instruments which are the precursors of the
- Museum of Music History - Hungary - http://www.zti.hu/museum.htm
and Musical Instruments of the Francophonie
Hall of Fame Museum
- documents, preserves, and promotes the history of
the ukulele, its players and makers as well as to inspire and engage people
everywhere in the perpetuation of the ukulele and ukulele music through
performances and exhibits.
College - The Treasure Room - historical musical instrument collection.
by Carla Piper, Ed. D.